Friday, May 20, 2011

Why I am in love with Twitter

Since the dawn of Twitter first came to be, I remember looking at this website where you could send updates out for the whole world to see, of 140 characters, and thinking - "Man, that is retarded."
Much like the rest of the population of the world at the time, I kind of looked down on Twitter. Why would anyone use this thing? Why are people Twittering (sorry... Tweeting) about everything they do?
It wasn't until one day when someone posted on their Facebook page - "Hey! Check out this Twitter page! It sends you updates of when the International Space Station will cross your sky!"
Okay, that's fucking cool.
So I decided to check out Twitter finally and made an account and started... ughh.. Tweeting.
It wasn't nearly as exciting as people made it out to be. I updated what I was eating, what I saw, when I was at work and even when I woke up. For a week - everything I did was put on Twitter and it was boring. No one gave a shit. Hell, I didn't even care! But then I stumbled upon a few Twitter accounts that made me finally understand Twitter and why people use it.


For example- I don't give a shit that you just ate at your "fav place to 3at, 0MG LOLOLOL!"
Shut up, I hate you.

However, what DOES capture my interest is the things that people post that are actually INTERESTING. Imagine your Facebook wall, but much smaller, not about your lame friends' lives, and you're able to catch up on everyone's updates over a few days in just minutes.

Don't believe me? Not sold? Check these Twitter pages out - you don't have to join, just go to the page and check out the last few updates. I guarantee you will get a kick out of a few of these.

Common Squirrel - This little guy updates about his day. He is a common squirrel. How is this not awesome? You can't tell me that when you're scanning through twitter updates, a random "blink" or "dig dig dig dig" doesn't make you smile. If you don't, you might not have a soul.

Darth Vader - If you don't know, here in AHTCK, we are all pretty fucking nerdy. Seeing updates from the original Dark Lord himself is pretty damn awesome. Also check out DeathStarPR for hilarity and Carrie Fisher for awesome, cracked out updates from the original Star Wars princess. 

TFLN - If you've never seen textsfromlastnight.com, it's definitely worth checking out. This twitter account updates once a day with a (usually drunken and or regretted later) text message forwarded to them, all of them with an area code before the text message. I've seen a few (661)'s in there and it makes me hate Nothern LA County that much more.

Astronaut Ron - One of the Astronaut's that just blasted off into space at 300,000 miles an hour. He tweets pictures of our planet from space as well as missions that they are doing. Seriously, these images are amazing and worth a look. Here is one: http://twitpic.com/50209q

The Onion - need I say more?

Gordon Freekitty - Okay, this one is a cat. Well, MY cat. He's pretty much the cat-version of Chuck Norris. He is named after Gordon Freeman from the Half-Life serries, and he doesn't care. He doesn't give a shit. He's crazy. Underneath that fuzzy, poofy tail? A stick of dynamite. Watch out.

KFI News - For your local Los Angeles news; breaking or otherwise. I love AM640, they're great reporters.

Pee Wee Herman - Yes, it's his real twitter, he mostly Re-Tweets stuff but it's interesting to follow the guy.

PostSecret - This is an experiment started a few years back by a guy named Frank Warren. he asked people to send him anonymous post cards with their secrets on them. The website updates once a week and he's released a few books. Some secrets are awesome, some funny, some terrifying and some will make you cry like a child who just got smacked. Check it out.

God Damn Batman - Because if there is anything this world needs, it's more ass-kicking Batman. His location is listed as "On the rooftop behind you."

Weird Al - Seriously, this guys tweets are just as awesome as his music.

George Takei - His tweets are amazing. His last tweet explained that Arnolds love-child was destined to bring down Skynet in a couple of years. Classic.

As far as local music goes -
AHTCK - Duh.
Cage 9 - My good friends, our recording engineer/producer and an all around great band. Love these guys.
Order66- Our local show-buddies. It seems that no matter what, we always end up on the bill with these guys!

So there you have it; why I have fallen in love with twitter. If you make a twitter account, be sure to follow these people. You'll have a great set of tweets to check out every couple of days or so.

I'm just glad that our name isn't Destroy the Skyline... More on that next time.

-AHTCK

No comments:

Post a Comment